Here’s a novel (and fun) idea for a dessert for that special person (or people) in your life! These are so easy to make, but do take time so plan ahead!
Yield: 12 hearts
Ingredients for Meringues:
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp. Clear Vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
Instructions for Meringues:
- Let eggs set out at room temperature for 30 min.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while beating at high speed until stiff peaks form
- Place egg white mixture into a large decorator bag that has a #1 tip in.
- On a foil lined baking sheet, shape 3-4 in. heart outlines; fill inside with egg mixture.
- Pipe a second row of the egg mixture around heart outline.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 50 min. until set and dry.
- Turn off oven and don’t open door; leave meringues in the oven for 1 hour.
- Fill with thickened strawberries
Ingredients for Strawberries:
- 2 pts. frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 5 drops red food coloring
Instructions for Strawberries:
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch; add water and 1 pt. strawberries.
- Stir and cook until thickened (this will thicken more as it cools); add other pt. of strawberries and enough food coloring to make a pretty red.
- Let cool; add to heart meringues.
- Serve immediately.
My kids loved these and they were even good left over!